Prototype

 Prototype:

A prototype needs to be simple and understandable. it should time too much time nor look pretty as we are just testing out our ideas with basic shapes and positions. There can be multiple prototypes because the first few or in between can fail and that's okay. For a game to become successful, it has to fail several times and i don't doubt it is going to happen to all of us - me guaranteed because I always manage to come up with the best ideas at the very end of a project.

For my prototype so far, I need a plan for my town so a map of the layouts an such. I still need to find out if we are able to use free unity files or we make our own (although I don't know if we can. haven't learned how to if we do). My game isn't really level based therefore that eliminates the need for that. The core mechanics of the game is for the player to walk and jump. The map layout idea should also include foreign objects to be able to jump on and "climb" by jumping and some nature. These will be mostly add at the end when the basics of the game actually functions.

With no unity at home for me to use and only access to it in college, so far what it is working for me is I know how to make a character move and with a little more lessons to look into I could make the player move in any direction. what needs to be tried and addressed, which will come in the following weeks of making, is having the player talk to an NPC. I've made the game sound great in theory but even I know that will only happen if the game can function at it's basics and then the aesthetics added. My only issue and concern is that Unity wont want to work. The script and functions would be correct and all but unity just won't want to follow through. This won't be the first time but it certainly isn't the last.

**I have a bit of it tried on a mac in college and i will add a screenshot of it during the week as I don't have it on me at the moment, my apologies**

Since this game is due at the end of the semester (i think), there is roughly four weeks left until Christmas break. I'm not sure whether we get to submit it before that or during Christmas, but I will look at it as before Christmas.

Goals and Targets for the weeks:

Week 8: Find out if we can use existing files unity provides for the game. Lay it out as planned on the map sketch. Try get the character to move in all directions.

Week 9: Have at least one NPC you can talk to and have the player jump around. Look into how to make 'collectibles' in the game. Also how i'm going to do the pumpkin thing where the npc gives it to me. Might make it on a locked gate to a farm if that doesn't work out.

Week 10: Improvements and feedback to see what can be done

Week 11: Have the final version done as I don't know when the submission is and the only access to unity is in college.

A back up plan is to maybe book a library slot and use the macs there to get the game going.













Comments

  1. Hi , I read your plan and i think it is a good starting point , as to creating material for your prototype Irene has a very helpful video on Teams i think it can help you to start , i am pretty sure the date to submit your Game is before Christmas , i am sure you can do it and hope to see your Game and play it so good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

CAT CAFE

Popular Posts